Van's History

The first Van’s Bakery was opened in 1924, Jelle Van Der Meer and his friend opened the shop in Grand Haven under the name ‘Ideal Bakery’

It had 4 other locations between 1924 and 1930 with the move from Grand Haven to Grand Rapids along with a name change to ‘Van’s Pastry Shoppe’

In 1930 Van’s was located at 948 E Fulton Street, in 1942 Van’s made its final move to its current location at 955 E Fulton Street

Between 1950-1952, Jelle retired from Van’s and his son, Simon Van Der Meer bought the bakery to continue the family business

In 1979 John Vander Meer bought Van’s from his father, Simon.

May 2019 Van’s got new owners, the bakery is now owned by David (John’s son) and Michelle Vander Meer who are 4th generation.